Working with an interior designer
While interior designers provide a specific scope of services, they may act as prime consultant and project manager for the client. They are trained and experienced at retaining and working with a number of other consultants or suppliers who may be required to complete the project.
A professional interior designer will explain the design process, their work schedule and billing structure and will ask you in-depth questions about your needs. IDC recommends you take the time to interview a selection of interior designers to find someone who will meet your needs and fit with your personality.
Use the following criteria to compare candidates:
- Experience in successfully providing similar services
- Overall history and reputation
- Management experience and skills
- Familiarity with relevant local aspects - geography, culture, facilities and professional consultants
- Project methodology
- Technical competence
- Unique value-added qualities such as creativity and innovation
- Commitment to the client's interests
- Quality of references